Re: Elevated post-tensioned slab cracks

Mark Geoghegan,

A belated response to your post.  You wrote:

. > Roger, you did state that the "...banded tendons creating an
. > over-compressed in-slab beam" but do not forget that P/A from the banded
. > tendons will be dispersed over the entire panel, so it will not really be
. > over-compressed, if I understand your terminology correctly.

Well, not exactly.  The original research, the research that came up with the
conclusion that strength is independent of tendon arrangement, *assumed* that
the stress would be distributed on a *45 deg* angle.  Published research
(Paul Roschke, ca. 1990, et. seq.) from the Texas Transportation Institute
shows that at the most, stress from banded tendons is distributed at
approximately 30 deg and is effective for only 1 or 2 metres from the center
of the band.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona