From: Szuchuan Chang [mailto:szchang(--nospam--at)pacbell.net]
Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2003 2:29 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Shotcrete / Concrete Questions

Got some shotcrete question,

(1)  The project I am working on has some rusted reinforcing steel.  The
condition is posted on the web site
http://members.tripod.com/~stlshape/ .I find a product called "Perma Rust
Remover"  that can be used to remove rust from reinforcing bars.
Q:  Has anybody use it?  Should I bother with it if the reinforcement will
be encased in 7" of shotcrete any way?

(2)  ACI 506.2-95  page 4 Section 1.4.1 ACI Standard
"ACI 301-89 Specifications for Structural Concrete for Buildings, paragraph
5.7.1 and Chapter 9."
I looked into the section.  There isn't this paragraph 5.7.1 in the latest
ACI 301.
Q:  What was it about? Do you have an older version of this code?

(3)  The reinforcements are the most congestive at the outer corners of the
walls with vertical re-bars on both sides.  I am planning to use 7" thick
shortcrete; #6 bars at 4" o.c.;  1/2" max size aggregate; slump 3" max;  v.
bars almost the middle of it. On pre-qualifying the nozzleman, concrete
mix, & core grade,  I am planning to build a corner with plywood (w/ corner
reinforcement) to simulate the real condition.
Q:  A plywood simulated corner good enough or should I just do it on a real
corner and have it removed (disadvantage, no mock-up for comparison as
suggested by Mr. Merl Issak in his Jan SEAONC's news letter.)

Thanks

Sam, SE

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.