Stucco Detail

Rich,

Be aware that neither stucco nor cmu are weather resistive materials.  I have
seen water from a low velocity garden hose and from lawn sprinklers come thru
cmu walls.  While it is permitted to apply stucco directly to cmu, you should
give careful thought to that option.

You may also want to consider flashing the sloping surface in order to take
care of porosity of the stucco and masonry.

If you are looking at 2 layers of grade D kraft paper, be aware that each
layer provides protection against water transmission for only 6 minutes.

Most stucco these days is proprietary, sometimes less than 1/4" thick, not
the 3/4" to 1" three course, "real" stucco.  With the very thin proprietary
stucco, you have to be careful where lath overlaps as this is where shrinkage
cracking, both horizontal and vertical, will occur.  Curing by misting is
essential.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Rich Lewis wrote:

. > I am designing a masonry pier, about 6 ft. sq., that has a sloping top.
. > The masonry will step back on a slope of about 1:1 and the surface will
. > be stucco.  I expect the stucco to be 3/4" - 1" thick.  Is there a need
. > to put expanded metal lathe in the stucco with a concrete block backup?

. > Rich