From: Padmanabhan Rajendran
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 1:39 PM
Subject: Re: standpipe or tank foundation design

Ken,

What is the thickness and the dimension (Octagon side dimension) of the mat? What region is the tank located for seismic and wind considerations?

Rajendran

 Ken Peoples <kspeoples(--nospam--at)lvta.net> wrote:

I have been asked to design a standpipe foundation for a tank that is 17' dia x 70' high.  The foundation is to be a mat type.  I am using an octagon shaped base and have already determined the required size for overturning resistance and bearing pressures.  I am having some difficulty finding a good reference for the reinforcing steel design.

I have the following reference material:

            Gaylord and Gaylord Structural Engineers Handbook 4th Edition - 1997

AWWA Standard for Welded Steel Tanks for Water Storage D100-96

Steel Tanks for Liquid Storage (Steel Plate Engineering Data ? Volume 1) Revised Edition - 1982

Chimney Foundations, Journal of the American Concrete Institute, June 1964

?A new approach to tank foundation design?, Andrew A. Brown, 1974

I was wondering if any of you would know of any other good reference information for this type of design.  I have spoken with several tank manufacturers and have been told that their programs are proprietary.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ken

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
Lehigh Valley Technical Associates