From: Nels Roselund, SE [mailto:njineer(--nospam--at)att.net]
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 6:41 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: HVFA Concrete

A number of articles in Concrete International over the past couple of years [for example, September 2002, July, 2002, March 2001] have been lauding the benefits of High Volume Fly Ash Concrete.  Durability, one of my particular interests because of my work on preservation of historic buildings, is high on the list of benefits.  For the growing number of those interested in Green Construction, the reduction in CO2 emissions by 50% [at the rate of a ton of CO2 per ton of portland cement] or more to produce cement for a given amount of concrete is very attractive.  55% to 65% cement replacement with Type F fly ash is proposed.  P.K. Mehta and V.M. Malhotra are prominent names in field of HVFA concrete.

Are procedures for design and control of HVFA concrete mixtures available and being used in the construction industry?  Do you know of a reference intended for design use [not a textbook]?  Is the Ready-mix industry geared up to produce HVFA concrete?

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net