Re: crane / curved beam

Can you give a little more description of what you are refering to when
you say "built in stress/strain"?  Are you refering to torsional stresses
or something else?  I am assuming that they are potentially stresses
introduced in the bending process.

With a horizontally curved beam, one of the main differences will be the
addition of torsion to the member.  For a beam with a very slight curve
(i.e. very large radius), this should not pose too much of a problem even
potentially for a wide flange shape.  For a sharp curve (i.e. small
radius), the torsion stresses could be rather high and more than likely an
open shape such as a wide flange will be inadequate.  And a 4'-0" radius
is a rather sharp curve (I don't know if that was just a off-the-cuff
example or a real example from your particular problem).

As far as publications, for torsion issues, take a look at AISC Design
Guide Series 9: Torsional Analysis of Structural Steel Members.  For crane
related issues, the only publication that I am aware from AISC that may
address what you need is AISC Design Guide 7: Industrial Buildings: Roofs
to Column Anchorage.  It does supposedly address the issue of cranes, but
I am not sure if it deals with curved crane beams or not.  Charlie Carter
might be able to give a better insight into that publication.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI