From: Keith Fix [mailto:kefix(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 1:05 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: AISC Seismic Provisions - Possible Error and Questions

One possible error and several questions:

Error(?):

per 15.3b.5., intermediate stiffeners are required both sides of the web for
link DEPTH greater than 25 inches.

per fig C15.6, intermediate stiffeners are required both sides of the web
for
link LENGTH greater than 25 inches.

which is correct (I'm leaning toward the former)

Questions:

For a "pinned-end" HSS brace connection to an EBF inverted v-brace, does the
gusset plate require stiffeners?  As of now, I'm proceeding with a design
based
on AISC 3rd edition page 13-9 for brace connections to beams w/o connections
columns.

How is the link length defined?  As of now, I've set the link ends at the
intersection of each brace centerline with the beam centerline, but that
places
the gusset connection outside the link.  That doesn't quite correspond to
Fig
C15.6, but that detail may be meant to transfer moment, which I would prefer
absorb into the beam outside the link.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

ASCII sketch follows:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - X - - - - - - - - - -
                                     /|    Beam Centerline
                                  /   |
            |               /     /
            |            /     /