Compression ring bracing roof rafter for 8-sided slope roof with vaulted ceiling (gazebo)

Hello,

I’m designing roof rafter of 8-sided slope roof with vaulted ceiling (gazebo).  The architect does not want to use collar ties.  He suggests using compression ring with strap around the wall top plate.  I’m not familiar with this compressing ring design and don’t know how it works.  I would appreciate any help on this.

Thanks,

Bao