From: Gerard Madden, PE [mailto:gmadden(--nospam--at)attbi.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 4:17 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Calculation of drift in Wood Frame Buildings

Sarcasm ON>

What school did you go to? Didn't they teach you this stuff in your
Gypsum Engineering Course? This is why a masters degree should be
mandatory for structural engineering !!! What do you mean a diaphragm
could be flexible, prove it ... I DARE YOU.

>OFF with the Sarcasm

Al,

This is half the complaining I and others have been doing on this list
in the past. Your situation is even more of an example of light frame
construction code gone awry.

Trying to prove a flexible diaphragm is a waste of time and will not be
true in your case. The bigger problem you have is determining the
rigidity of the GWB shear panels. I supposed you could try to use the
same equations for plywood shearwalls with the different properties for
GYP instead of OSB or Ply, but I don't know where you would find that.

Here is how everyone else has handle the drift calculations in
residential buildings ( YAAAWWWWWWWNNNNNNN ) and that is still how it is
done for the most part outside of seismic areas. In seismic areas -
simplified analysis and you don't have to do the drift calc - about 80%
of engineers are doing this if I had to guess.

I strongly suggest that you avoid gyp shearwalls if there is a seismic
concern. Wind is probably okay. By the way, if you use wood sheathing,
most of your problems and questions are still valid. The whole shearwall
deflection/rigidity thing is not valid due to the fact that no special
inspection is required to make sure the wall is built as designed.

HTH,
-gerard