From: Albert J. Meyer, Jr. [mailto:meyera(--nospam--at)bellatlantic.net]
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 11:38 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Calculation of drift in Wood Frame Buildings

Gerard -

Thanks for your reponse.  This is what I really was thinking that I would
hear.  I have been doing a significant amount of wood frame design in the
past five years and most of it has been two, three and four story
multi-family housing.  For the most part it has been in the Eastern United
States.

What I try to deal with now is explaining to the architect that I need wood
panel shear walls throughout the buildings I am designing, even though the
OTHER buildings, that are four story wood frame buildings right NEXT to the
spot where we are going to put our buildings didn't seem to need any
shearwalls or holddowns.

I have a done a number of designs where the building was in area of low
seismicity (Maryland) and by BOCA 1996 no seismic analysis was required
(other than ties and continuity considerations) where now per the IBC 2000 I
need to do a lateral analysis for seismic forces, that really doesn't let me
use gypsum shear walls like I did when the BOCA 1996 was the governing code.
The architects and owners just can't seem to deal with this.  I've even told
a few that if they can get the fire related provisions of the code waived,
I'll ingore the lateral force provisions! (Just kidding).

I don't mind doing the analyses, but I've had people VE me to death for
actually doing a lateral force analysis for wind loads!  I can't compete
with those who wave the magic wand and say that the building is OK for
lateral forces by inspection.  I think I'm going to go for a new code
provision to just post a building with signs like "NO LATERAL WIND OR
SEISMIC FORCES", kind of like the "NO WAKE" signs near the marina and boat
slips.

Thanks again for your thoughts.