Re: HVFA Concrete

In a message dated 1/17/2003 10:10:07 AM Eastern Standard Time, EGreen(--nospam--at)walterpmoore.com writes:

2) We originally believed that finished would be a problem due to
anecdotal stories about "stickiness" and other issues from fly ash.
However, we have not had problems with finishing for walls or slabs.

You are actually not likely to have "stickiness" problems with Class F fly ash since it reduces the cohesiveness of the mix (and results in a somewhat slower strength gain.)   Stickiness is more of a problem with Class C fly ash, and of course silica fume.

There is in fact a Coal Ash Trade Association (www.acaa-usa.org) but their publications are basically marketing pieces with nice pictures and poorly written text.

Gail S. Kelley, P.E.