Re: Lateral resistance of a Six Story CMU Apartment Building

Tom,

        You haven't said anything about the use of wood either for structural or non structural components.  If wood was used and if the roof was as bad as you say you probably should consider the possibility of rot or mould problems.

        Unless you've found some "real" bracing the designers probably relied on the shear wall capacity of the masonry units.  If so you may want to make sure that the floors are appropriately connected to the walls to be able to transfer the horizontal load to the end walls.

        Of course we are all assuming that you will do at least a rough check of building stability even if you don't go for a complete upgrade.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson

Tom Bodkin wrote:

 I have a question regarding the structural integrity of a six story apartment complex located in New Jersey.The footprint is about 120 feet by 30 feet.  There are no record drawings. The top two stories of brick veneer on one side of the building had fallen to the ground due to excessive water damage from a neglected roof.  After going through the building to determine the framing system, the building was constructed using a perimeter CMU bearing wall with pilasters (to support the steel beams framing into them) and a brick veneer.  We haven't determined wheather the CMU (could be cinder block since the building is probably circa 1930's) has vertical reinforcement.The interior framing consists of W8 columns spaced 12 feet on center running the 120 feet length of the building, splitting the building width into two bays (12 feet and 16 feet).  The beam to column connections appear to be simple connections. Lateral bracing was not evident (interior demo will reveal better info). 10" bar joists spaced 2 feet on centers support the floor.  The building use is not going to be changing (still residential).Can anyone tell me there experiences in upgrading a facility similiar to this to meet seismic requirements or if it was even necessary since the use is the same?Also, is there anything in particular that should be paid close attention to regarding the structural integrity of the facility.Thanks in advance for your responses.  Thomas W. Bodkin, E.I.T.Carroll Engineering Corporation tbodkin(--nospam--at)carrollengineering.com Phone: 215-343-5700 x360Fax: 215-343-0875