Re: Hillside Foundation Design Criteria in LA?

Bill,

Do you have copies of the following?
1. Chapter 94 of the Los Angeles City Building Code -- a hillside
residential retrofit ordinance.
2. Section 1666 of the Los Angeles City Building Code -- an ordinance for
new hillside construction.
3. Supplemental Structural Correction Sheet Hillside Construction On Slope
Steeper Than 33%, LADBS Document 99LABC -- it has about 40 pages that
include illustrations and design examples.

If you have those and need more, check with Don Gilbert at the SEAOSC office
[seaosc(--nospam--at)aol.com] about a copy of the GSREB seminar notes from the SEAOSC
seminar presentation of June 2002.  I gave a presentation there that was
intended to be a commentary on the Hillside problem.  It was focused on
retrofit, based on damage observed after the January 17, 1994 Northridge
Earthquake [9 years already!]

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA