Re: Shoring Design

Bill,

        I believe that the reason you have been advised against designing
shoring is that there are a lot of failures (hence a lot of claims)
involving shoring systems.  It is a risky task but someone (even if it's
the carpenter's helper) has to do it otherwise construction can not
proceed.

        There is nothing wrong with designing shoring but you should make
it very clear what you HAVE designed and what you HAVE NOT designed or
taken under control (including which project it is to be used for).  You
should also make sure that your insurance covers this activity.  If there
is a failure it will probably be something that YOU have NOT designed or
taken under control; you want to make sure you're not held responsible.

        The only publications that I am aware of are available from
Occupational Health and Safety, which in Canada is a provincial government
responsibility.  In U.S.A. I  would expect it to be a state government
responsibility.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson