I factor & API 650 Appendix E

List,

I would like to get an opinion or comment on standard practice in application of I factor when using API 650 code. I found the paper (1978) where the method was first presented to API as a proposed practice as an appendix P to API 650. The paper refers to the I at that time in reference to the Uniform Building Code which had a I of 1.5 for essential facilities only. This is a gasoline storage tank. To me being downwind of a leaky tank is a public health hazard and we should be using a I of 1.25.

Robert M. Hanson, SE

Kappa Engineers

(310) 233-3800 x109