RE: Shoring Design

You can write almost anything into a contract. Whether or not you will have any bidders depends on how onerous the terms are. What it really comes down to is whether or not an underwriter will accept this risk and whether or not the owner is willing to absorb the added premium cost in the bid. I have seen contracts that require the contractor to include the engineer as a named insured and as far as I know it wasn't a problem.
   -----Original Message-----
From: GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 9:42 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Shoring Design

When doing an investigation or evaluation of a building,  an engineering firm is usually required to name the client (the building owner),  and possibly adjacent building owners as "additional insured".

When doing trenching work,  can the contractor be required to name the engineer as an "additional insured"  for something that did not involve the engineer's scope of work, i.e. someone drove their car into the excavator?  Or do lines not get drawn quite so finely?

Gail S. Kelley, P.E.