RE: Cast-in-place Box Culvert Analysis a

If a person has no idea on how to analyze or design a box culvert, I think
that it is dangerous to refer the person to software where the user would
have absolutely no idea whether or not the solution is reasonable.  It is
like putting a gun in the hands of a person who does not know how to check
whether it is loaded or not, or where the safety is located.

Design criteria is contained in AASHTO's Bridge Specs.  If the person cannot
understand that, he/she should not be designing box culverts.

There are many ways to analyze structures such as box culverts, from making
simple, conservative assumptions to the most sophisticated computer methods.
Once again, the person performing the analysis must be adequately educated
to understand what is being done.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

John Russ wrote:

. > Try the FHWA web site.  They originally developed a methodology for the
. > analysis of box culverts and it's available there called BOXCAR, I
. > believe. However, there is a developer that has taken over the software
. > and markets it under the same name.  HTH

. > John Russ