Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Historic Structure Retrofit in CA

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]


You also need to find out how the project is being funded.  If it is being funded by FEMA then they will want the design to be in accordance with FEMA 356 as stated below.  I have this situation right now and conducted a meeting with the building official who luckily accepted this as the design criteria.  They said they would sub out the plan check to a company familiar with FEMA 356 and as long as we have correctly followed the procedures then they will accept it.  Depending on the type of project you are looking at and whether you are part of a larger design team I can tell you the bigger problems may be with the "Access Compliance" issues.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

Mark Pemberton <Mark.Pemberton(--nospam--at)>

01/21/2003 03:49 PM
Please respond to seaint

        To:        "'seaint(--nospam--at)'" <seaint(--nospam--at)>
        Subject:        RE: Historic Structure Retrofit in CA

Depending on the size of the project, I would look into using FEMA 356 (the "new" 273), although you may need to verify that the building department would accept this type of analysis.
Mark Pemberton, P.E.
-----Original Message-----
Gerard Madden, PE [mailto:gmadden(--nospam--at)]
Tuesday, January 21, 2003 2:14 PM
Historic Structure Retrofit in CA

Can someone tell me what the latest/most current applicable code is for retrofit of a historic wood framed structure in California?

I know the UCBC is used for URM retrofits and I'm wondering if there is 1) a newer version than the 97 version (I think that's the year it came out) and 2) if it contains provisions for wood framed structures.



Santa Clara, CA