From: Eric Green [mailto:EGreen(--nospam--at)walterpmoore.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 10:07 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: LRFD HSS flexure analysis question

When designing a HSS for flexure, the wall slenderness ratio is defined as h/t. My question, is h/t defined relative to the axis of bending, or is is defiend as the larger of h/t or b/t?

For example, assume a HSS12x8x3/8 is being bent about the strong axis, in which case h/t = 31.4 (and b/h = 19.9). However, of the same member is bent about the weak axis, h/t = 19.9 (and b/h = 31.4).  Should 31.4 be used for both analysis, or 31.4 for the strong axis and 19.9 for the weak?

It seems to me h/t is relative to the axis of bending and different number should be used for weak and strong axis bending.

Eric Green

- Speaking only for myself, and nobody else.