Wood Historic Building Retrofit provisions

The 2001 ICBO Guidelines for the Seismic Retrofit of Existing Buildings is
the more up to date set of prescriptive provisions. If you wait til next
month, the 2003 International Existing Building Code from ICC will be
available and it has these same guidelines reprinted as appendices. In any
event, the California Historical Building Code also applies if your project
is a qualified historical resource located in that state.

FEMA 356 is generally overkill and beyond most design budgets. You will find
it quite restrictive for short-period buildings, contrary to common sense
and observations of past performance. FEMA 356 needs some modifications to
analysis procedures, but you may have to wait til ATC completes ATC 55 or 58
to get the fix.

FYI, Fred

Fred Turner, Staff Structural Engineer, California Seismic Safety
Commission, a public policy advisory agency, fturner(--nospam--at)quiknet.com, 1755
Creekside Oaks Dr. #100 Sacramento, CA 95833 916-263-0582 Phone 916-263-0594
Fax

You asked:

Can someone tell me what the latest/most current applicable code is for
retrofit of a historic wood framed structure in California?

I know the UCBC is used for URM retrofits and I'm wondering if there is
1) a newer version than the 97 version (I think that's the year it came
out) and 2) if it contains provisions for wood framed structures.

Thanks,
-gerard
Santa Clara, CA