Bullet-proof concrete

Richard,

Visit (or look at photos) from Hickam Field, Hawaii, and see how resistant
ordinary concrete is to bullets.

Now, remember, this is pre-1941 concrete, probably designed at 2,000 - 2,500
psi, and the bullets were probably close to 20 mm fired from machine guns in
strafing planes on December 7, 1941.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Richard Kipke wrote:

. > Is anyone familiar with any research or papers regarding concrete walls
. > subjected to rifle fire?  I am designing a pre-cast concrete gate house
. > which needs to resist Department of Justice classification Level III as
. > stated below:

. > 2.5 Type III (Rifles)
. > This armor protects against 7.62 mm Full Metal Jacketed (FMJ) bullets
. > (U.S. Military
. > designation M80), with nominal masses of 9.6 g (148 gr) impacting at a
. > minimum velocity of
. > 838 m/s (2750 ft/s) or less. It also provides protection against the
. > threats mentioned in sections
. > 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4.

. > Right now I have a 5" thick concrete wall and have no feel on how well it
. > would do.  Would concrete additives such as steel fiber or poly fiber
. > offer additional resistance.  I can probably thicken the wall as needed.

. > Any assistance would be appreciated.

. > Thanks in advance,
. > Rich Kipke, PE
. > Earth Tech