Dryvit was:Cement Board Shear Wall

Eric,

I know that there have been recommendations to take care of the EIFS problem
of letting moisture in and not letting it out.  What Rich Lewis posted was
that the contractor suggested a dryvit *type*, which could be anything, as
was "powerwall" stucco.  While Powerwall (TM) stucco was commonly specified
locally, stucco contractors typically applied *any* prepackaged stucco that
they regularly used and referred to it as powerwall.

I am not familiar with Dryvit MD (TM) and it may well take care of the EIFS
problem that Dryvit (TM) had.  My suggestion to Rich Lewis was to look at
what problems could be experienced with a dryvit *type* stucco so that he
could take precautions to protect his structure.

A number of years ago, I got a call from a lady who wanted to know who did
testing for moisture as she wanted to get an independent verification of the
moisture reading the stucco contractor's testing company got.  The moisture
content in the plywood that the contractor's representative got was 33%.
(This was here in Tucson, Arizona, where rain is a phenomena that people
stop work to watch.)  I gave her the name of a couple of local testing
laboratories and that was the last that I heard.

Test equipment catalogs that I get prominently indicate that EIFS tips are
available for their moisture meters which tells me that EIFS problems still
exist.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Eric Green wrote:

. > Roger,

. > I suggest I search on "Dryvit MD." (Not part of your subject concern,
. > but more important.) :-)

. > Perhaps some of your concerns are addressed? I would be curious what you
. > think about moisture controlled EIFS.

. > Eric Green