RE: Bullet-proof concrete

Mark Georghegan wrote:

. > Roger,

. > I have some recent photos of this structure too, showing the "hits". A
. > internal steel stair case has numerous "hits" and full penetration holes
. > on the risers.

. > Actually the concrete was designed as 3000 psi, but we recently cored some
. > samples (from the slabs) and it tested at +5,500 psi. The rebar for the
. > girders was 1" square DEFORMED rebar.

. > The exterior facade is protected by historic order - the facade "spalls"
. > will never get repaired. Even recent corrosion-related spalls do not get
. > repaired, just painted.

And right well it should be protected to be a constant reminder of that day
that "will live in infamy" along with September 11, 2001.  The only
difference between the two is that the former was conducted, however sneaky,
by military forces against military targets while the latter was conducted by
civilian terrorists against unarmed, defenseless civilians.  It brings tears
to my eyes when I think of December 7, 1941.

I saw the building only once.  That was in November, 1955 when I was
returning to the States for separation and we "bounced" at Hickam.  Anyone
that visits Hawaii should visit both Hickam and the USS ARIZONA Memorial.  Do
ships still render honors to the ARIZONA as it still has 1107 of its
compliment still aboard?

Roger Turk
Tucson, Arizona