Combination structures per ASCE gdidelines on seismic evaluation & design of petrochemical facilities

Pl. refer to ASCE guidelines page 4-11, table 4.4 & page 4.B-2 & 3 for
equipment (like exchanger or cooler at higher
elevation in a steel structure/piperack.)    and

SEAOC blue book(7th edition, 1999), Pg. 142, section C109.5.4  & pg. 170/171

The question is do we have to consider lower R of structure & equipment
always,  to find the shear
for ANY equipment  wt. greater than 0.25(structure wt.)  ?  or

Is the 'equiment' is limited to vertical vessel, heater, and tanks supported
on a steel structure?(to compare the weights to
steel structure to take lower R)?

If there are more equiments like exchanger, vessel, do we have take lowest R
& compare with that of the structure?

Comments please.

Ravi Vasu, P.E.

it from your computer.