RE: lintel

A suggestion was made regarding using arch action for the lintel design.
That is fine but be sure there is enough wall on each side to support the
horizontal reaction from the arch.  There are also some deflection
compatibility requirements in the UBC for supporting masonry.  See Section
2106.2.9

Jim Persing