Re: Invitation for Indian Structural Engineers

In a message dated 1/27/2003 9:18:47 AM Central Standard Time,
soldetail(--nospam--at)yahoo.com writes:

<< Subj:     Invitation for Indian Structural Engineers
 Date:  1/27/2003 9:18:47 AM Central Standard Time
 From:  soldetail(--nospam--at)yahoo.com (Structures Online)
 To:    seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

 Invitation to Join

 Structural Engineers Forum of India.

 The structural engineering profession in India, formally and informally,
 deeply impacts urban and rural life across our vast country. Our society
 places on it a serious responsibility towards ensuring design and
 implementation of quality, safe, affordable and functional structures.

 Yet the structural engineering profession is currently assailed by many
 problems. There is a growing sense of disillusionment and lack of motivation
 in the members of this profession. Problems of poor perception of structural
 engineers in the society, poor professional remuneration, poor interaction
 between fellow engineers, lack of ethics plague the profession. There is
 presently no structural engineering association at a national level, which
 addresses the needs and problems of the profession.

 During the e-conference organized by NICEE on professional issues in
 Structural Engineering last August, a large number of participants felt the
 need of a forum where they can interact & share views on a regular basis. So
 we have taken the initiative to launch a web site http://www.sefindia.org ,
 symbolically on Jan 26, 2003, the second anniversary of the Bhuj earthquake.

 The features of this website which the members may find useful for
 information access & knowledge sharing, are described below.

 1) Discussion forums & mailing list : Where technical & professional issues
 pertaining to Structural Engineering can be discussed.

 2) Useful links page : Which gives URLs to internet based information
 resources like Structural Engineering organizations, societies, institutes,
 software, journals & publications worldwide & specific to Indian context
 also.

 3) Articles Page :  Where members can post articles of interest to the
 Structural Engineering community.

 4) Software Page : Where members can upload software routines & spreadsheets
 etc. for sharing among the members.

 5) E-conferences : We will be holding e-conferences periodically on topics
 of interest.

 This is only a modest beginning, and by the continuous support, interaction
 & contribution from the members, it can become the One Stop Resource Center
 for the Structural Engineering community & allied fields. This is only the
 beginning. We would appreciate & welcome any suggestions you have regarding
 the web-site.

 Initially we are starting with only one general mailing list, but as we
 grow, we can add more topic specific mailing lists like professional issues,
 technical discussions, codes & standards related etc.

 For joining & participating in the general mailing list all you have to do
 is to send a blank email to subscribe-general(--nospam--at)sefindia.org from the email
 ID on which you would like to receive your emails. The other option is to go
 to Discussion Group page on the site & subscribe from there. The access to
 the site is free & open to all. Please forward this email to all the people
 who may be interested.

 With best regards from

 Dr. Sudhir.K.Jain - Professor & Head, Civil Engineering Department,
 IIT-Kanpur
 Alpa Sheth - Consulting Structural Engineer - Mumbai
 Dhirendra Tripathi - C.E.O. Karmyogi Services,  Alumnus of IIT-Kanpur based
 at Ahmedabad
 Sudhir Badami - Structural Engineer - Mumbai
 Pankaj Gupta - Consulting Structural Engineer - New Delhi