Re: lintel

Have you considered wind loads perpendicular to the wall?  With an 8 foot wide opening, your wind loads may be an issue if there is a roll up door or other vehicle to close the opening.  Even without a door, the lintel must now span horizontally to resist wind, increasing the load to the jamb.  These issues can be overcome with a frame for the roll up that is designed to resist the loads and if the lintel is braced back to the roof roof diaphragm.  If it's glass with mullions, you may have a different load distribution.  And as windows change, I try to evaluate the worst case distribution.

Steve Privett
Pasadena, CA