Reinforcing existing steel members

Keith,

This depends on whether you are designing in ASD or LRFD.  In ASD, the
stresses in the existing member and in the added reinforcing are going to be
different, which has to be accounted for.

In LRFD, all of the steel is yielding (unless controlled by instability),
therefore the strength of the member reinforced with no load is the same as
the strength of the member reinforced with partial loading.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Keith Hyndman wrote:

. > Reference: AISC Journal 4th qtr 1990
. > "Reinforcing Steel members and the Effects of Welding"
. > by R.H.R Tide

. > This article and several written prior to it, states that the "strength of
. > columns reinforced under load and under no load are identical."  This
. > brought me to question some of the practices on my own office where we
. > have sized reinforcement of steel members by subtracting out the existing
. > (actual) stresses, resulting in an overly conservative design.

. > So I thought I'd write to the audience to see if this philosophy is widely
. > held.

. > Also is this approach true for tension and bending members?

. > Ultimately I'd like to convince my "crusty cohort" to change his ways, to
. > a more efficient approach.

. > Thanks,

. > Keith Hyndman, P.E.