Floor Boxes

Title: Message
Hello;

Looking into a problem that has appeared.  I have a concrete slab on 9/16" form deck (3" total thickness) on bar joists at 24" o.c.  The Electrical Engineer has informed me that he is required to use floor boxes (http://www.fsrinc.com/ see model FL-500P) for electrical.  These boxes are approximately 12"x10" in plan and 4" deep.  The support steel is already designed and I am trying to find a cost effective solution for these boxes that will now penetrate my floor without adding a large amount of weight (aka increasing slab thickness).  Fire protection is not an issue per the architect.  An idea that has been tossed around is to use a typical 14 ga sump pan that will be used as a form and reinforce it with rebar.  I do not see how this issue has not come up but all my searching has been for naught.  Is typical practice to increase the thickness of the slab for floor boxes?

Mike