RE: Soil Lateral Loading

What type of "on-site" soils do you have?

 "Adair, Joel" <JAdair(--nospam--at)Halff.com> wrote:

Tripp --

The 85 pcf to 110 pcf is not a soil density -- it is an equivalent fluid weight.  In other words, it already has the at-rest coefficient factored into it.  They typically give another value for in-place density, often in the range of 120 - 135 pcf.  Using these values, that's saying that the at-rest pressure coefficient is about 0.75 -- pretty high.

To give you an idea of what we commonly see, here's a snip of a geotech report from a project I did a while back:

--------
Lateral earth pressures acting on the below grade walls will depend on the type of backfill material used.  These walls should be considered rigid and designed for at-rest earth pressures as presented below for a level backfill and a drained condition.

EQUIVALENT FLUID PRESSURES
Backfill Material                  At-Rest (pcf)
On-site soils                          110

Select fill, with LL<35 and PI<15      65

Granular backfill w/ <3% passing
    No. 200 sieve and <30% passing
    No. 40 sieve, non-plastic          45

--------

Obviously, for large project like a culvert there is no way possible to economically replace the on-site soil with granular backfill, so we're stuck using the 110 pcf -- and designing a bomb shelter.

-- Joel