Retsining Wall Seismic

I assume all engineers in California are now designing to the 2001 CBC since that code was adopted November 1st by most, if not all, jurisdictions. Has anyone complied with sec. 1611A.6 and 1630A1.1, paragraph 5 re. earthquake forces on retaining walls??

I am presently designing a building with 12.5 feet of retained earth on 3 sides. The soils engineer has given me seismic horizontal earth forces of 69(HxH) #/ft for restrained walls and 27(HxH) #/ft for cantilevered walls, in addition to the EFP. These formulas produce forces on the walls, and building, which are impractical, (impossible?), to design to. Any comments?

Larry Hauer, S.E.