Re: Soil Lateral Loading

Just remember that hydrostatic is constant with depth, so you have it all the way up to the water table. For illustration, if the water table was at ground surface, then you'd have 62.4 instead of zero at the top. This can obviously affect the maximum pressure at depth, as well as the distribution with depth. It might be worthwhile to get the geotech to discuss his pressure diagram.

Eric Ober
Cagley and Associates

Sherman, William wrote:

I often have designed for at-rest lateral soil pressures (equivalent fluid
pressures) on the order of 90 pcf. This value includes the effect of
hydrostatic pressure when a structure is below maximum ground water level.
For example, using a lateral coefficient of 0.50 for at-rest conditions in a
soil of 120 pcf density: 0.50*(120 pcf - 62.4 pcf) + 62.4 pcf = 91.2 pcf.
Without hydrostatic pressure, 60 pcf is a reasonable at-rest soil pressure.
I have been given equivalent fluid pressures by Geotech's as high as 125 pcf
for clays (including hydrostatic) - this means the clay acts essentially as
a fluid.
I feel that "active" earth pressure is used in too many situations where
"at-rest" earth pressure would be more appropriate. Unless the amount of
movement required for active earth pressure can be numerically justified, I
use at-rest earth pressures. Most box shaped structures surrounded by soil
can't move laterally by a significant amount and thus should use at-rest
pressures.
William C. Sherman, PE
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311