short double angles

We have quite a few fairly short (3'+-) double angles to detail and are being questioned regarding using two intermediate connectors.  It seems to me that according to AISC, we have to have them, but it certainly does look excessive.  Am I missing some loophole that I should know about that would tell me that I don't need to use two intermediate connectors?  I am looking at the LRFD 3rd edition and they indicate a minimum of two intermediate connectors for all lengths (the tables go down to 2').

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Ken

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.