From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 1:26 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Soil Lateral Loading

I might be misunderstanding something, but from what I recall
hydrostatic
pressure (i.e. equivalent fluid pressure) is NOT constant with depth.
The
soil density (or water density in the case of 62.4) IS constant with
depth, but the lateral pressure either from water or soil will vary with
depth.  I KNOW that fluid pressure based upon the water density of 62.4
DOES vary with depth...this is why there is a "crush depth" for
submarines...the deeper you go in the ocean the more pressure the
submarine depth must sustain until it crushes like an aluminum can under
my foot.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Eric Ober wrote:

> Just remember that hydrostatic is constant with depth, so you have it
> all the way up to the water table.  For illustration, if the water
table
> was at ground surface, then you'd have 62.4 instead of zero at the
top.
>  This can obviously affect the maximum pressure at depth, as well as
the
> distribution with depth.  It might be worthwhile to get the geotech to
> discuss his pressure diagram.
>
> Eric Ober
> Cagley and Associates
>
> Sherman, William wrote:
>
> >I often have designed for at-rest lateral soil pressures (equivalent
fluid
> >pressures) on the order of 90 pcf. This value includes the effect of
> >hydrostatic pressure when a structure is below maximum ground water
level.
> >For example, using a lateral coefficient of 0.50 for at-rest
conditions in a
> >soil of 120 pcf density: 0.50*(120 pcf - 62.4 pcf) + 62.4 pcf = 91.2
pcf.
> >Without hydrostatic pressure, 60 pcf is a reasonable at-rest soil
pressure.
> >I have been given equivalent fluid pressures by Geotech's as high as
125 pcf
> >for clays (including hydrostatic) - this means the clay acts
essentially as
> >a fluid.
> >
> >I feel that "active" earth pressure is used in too many situations
where
> >"at-rest" earth pressure would be more appropriate. Unless the amount
of
> >movement required for active earth pressure can be numerically
justified, I
> >use at-rest earth pressures. Most box shaped structures surrounded by
soil
> >can't move laterally by a significant amount and thus should use
at-rest
> >pressures.
> >
> >William C. Sherman, PE
> >CDM, Denver, CO
> >Phone: 303-298-1311
> >Fax: 303-293-8236

We have
> >an ongoing quandary at out firm regarding what lateral soil pressure
to use
> >for design of culverts, retaining walls, junction boxes, and all
sorts of
> >other buried structures.  Take culverts, for instance:  If designing
to the
> >AASHTO standard, we can get a geotech report or we can simply use the
> >code-dictated 30 pcf or 60 pcf equivalent fluid weight (depending on
the
> >load case) to determine the lateral pressure.  TxDOT, in developing
their
> >culvert standards, used 40 pcf for the equivalent fluid weight.
However,