Re: short double angles

You can calculate the double-angle capacities with different connector
spacing.  See LRFD Spec Sec. E4.  Also, see the discussion for Table 4-9 on
LRFD Manual page 4-17.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor, Aliso Viejo, CA

*********

                      "Ken Peoples"
                      <kspeoples(--nospam--at)lvta.net      To: "Seaint" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

                      01/29/03 10:19 AM        cc:
                      Please respond to
                      seaint                   Subject:  short double angles

We have quite a few fairly short (3'+-) double angles to detail and are
being questioned regarding using two intermediate connectors.  It seems to
me that according to AISC, we have to have them, but it certainly does look
excessive.  Am I missing some loophole that I should know about that would
tell me that I don't need to use two intermediate connectors?  I am looking
at the LRFD 3rd edition and they indicate a minimum of two intermediate
connectors for all lengths (the tables go down to 2').

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Ken

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.