Re: Combination of Systems

Yes it is permissible to use two different systems in the same direction.  The design will be based on the lowest R value of either system.   This is not a dual system.  Dual systems are intended for tall buildings.  The best way to picture a dual system is to picture a braced frame or shearwall tube inside a moment frame box.  Both systems are complete by themselves, with the structural performance dependent on the interaction of the two systems.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 5:33 PM
Subject: Combination of Systems

Imagine a narrow and long building (1 x 10 bays) that needs to be seismically reinforced.

If I use shear walls in the front long side, is it allowed to use braced frames in the back long side? In other words, can I use two different systems in the same direction? Does this qualify as a dual system?

Javier Encinas
Encinas & Assoc.