Re: Fire ratings to UBC 1997

Based on your area and number of stories, you could classify the building as type II-N. Based on Table 6-A of the code, your exterior wall would not be required to be fire rated.

Gautam

From: "Mark Geoghegan" <structuraltech.vsl(--nospam--at)verizon.net>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Fire ratings to UBC 1997
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 15:35:01 -1000

I need some assistance/comments with the following:

4 level parking structure, open on all 4 sides, approx 22,000 SF per floor,
PT concrete flat plate construction. Stand alone parking structure, no
structure above, none adjacent. Structure is 25 years old.

To UBC 1997 its Use and Occupancy is GROUP S,  Division 4, Open Parking
Garage.

Based upon the Use and Occupancy and Floor Area and Building Height I have
determined it is Type II-N construction (correct?).

It is up for repair/strengthening - if structural steel or other external
strengthening systems are selected as a repair/strengthening option to
support the concrete slabs, does the external strengthening system need to
be fire protected? Or does it just have to be "non-combustible" materials?

I say no fire protection is required because it is Type II-N - but I welcome
comments.

Many thanks

Mark Geoghegan
Honolulu, HI