FW: Fire ratings to UBC 1997

In answer to the question below, I have the following courtesy of my fire
engineering colleague Farid Alfawakhiri here at AISC.

Charlie

********************
Open parking structures category is recognized by all model codes in the US.
For non-combustible construction, no fire protection (0 hours rating) would
be required, if the following limits are observed

IBC : 50,000 sq.ft area per tier (max) ; 8 tiers (max) ; 2 sides (min) open
20 % (min) of wall area of entire perimeter
NBC : 50,000 sq.ft area per tier (max) ; 8 tiers (max) ; 2 sides (min) open
40 % (min) of wall area of entire perimeter
SBC : 400,000 sq.ft area per tier (max) ; 8 tiers (max) ; 2 sides (min) open
50 % (min) of wall area of open sides
UBC : 30,000 sq.ft area per tier (max) ; 8 tiers (max) ; 2 sides (min) open
20 % (min) of wall area of entire perimeter

Note that while IBC, NBC and UBC have a significantly lower value than SBC,
IBC, NBC and UBC allow unlimited area for non-combustible unprotected (0
hours rating) open parking structures if 50% (min.) of the wall area on all
sides is open, the distance from any point on the floor is within 200 ft to
the nearest opening, and the height of the structure is within 75 ft.

Please note that these liberal limits are in recognition of the very low
fire hazard levels in open parking structures, mainly due to good
ventilation. These rules do not apply to closed parking.

Farid Alfawakhiri, Ph.D.
Senior Engineer, Fire Design
312-670-5441 (phone)
312-644-4226 (fax)
alfawakhiri(--nospam--at)aisc.org

American Institute of Steel Construction, Inc.
One East Wacker Drive, Suite 3100
Chicago, IL 60601-2000