Re: Dudes: Skatepark Advice Requested

I agree with the two previous messages. WWF should not be used. Increasing the thickness will help.
Using a quality mix and good curing will also help. I would use about #4 @ 16" each way.

Stan Scholl, P.E.
Laguna Beach, CA

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 07:35:51 -0600 "Randall H. Collier" <rhcollier(--nospam--at)winkinc.com> writes:

Jan,

Just to add my “two cents”, I would agree with the previous advice of my colleagues:  1.) No joints  (not needed or desired);  2.) Increase the reinforcement (no WWF); 3.) Consider increasing the slab thickness, if economically feasible (I have had to battle high clay soils that were heaving, and the extra thickness helped with the differential, and unpredictable, stress concentrations);  and 4.) Consider using a floor hardener, especially if there will be impact loads from the wheels of the skateboards (and body parts!) during jumping.

Randall H. Collier, P.E.