RE: Dudes: Skatepark Advice Requested

Thanks to all for the input;

I should clarify a little:  Our project is not the big empty pool type of skate park but really just a big slab on grade with a 1/2% slope to drain. I'm having a little trouble "selling" the jointless pavement.

Local practice for slabs in buildings is WWF plus Saw Joints (weakened plane joints) at intervals.  I think all the structural engineers in the area have an understanding that the WWF isn't helping much for contraction and that the weakened plane joints are doing the heavy lifting.  We've heard the venders (experts?) that tell us it always ends up below the concrete.  BUT the WWF is still showing up on a lot of drawings and we're not getting a lot of complaints from anyone about it being there.  We also don't see any performance problems that can be blamed on WWF.  One theory (that I think used to be espoused by the Wire Reinforcing Institute) is that the wire helps maintain the aggregate interlock at a weakened plane joint.

That WWF & saw joints are expected locally is the big reason I'm running into some reluctance on the part of my client to use what I called a "continuously reinforced pavement" in my last post (where there would be no WWF and no joints at all, no sawed, contraction, construction, weakened plane, doweled, keyed or expansion joints at all, but rebar at about 0.6% reinforcement ratio).  They're just a little skeptical; asking the list here was sort of a sanity check for me.  They (the city especially) are under some pressure to make sure this comes out right.  This was evident from our paper this morning, the front page of the local news section had an article on the project:  http://www.pilotonline.com/news/nw0131ska.html  Did you know your community is skate park deficient if you have less than one for every 25,000 residents?  Our community is way behind the curve in this area.

I settled on my reinforcement ratio for continuously reinforced pavement after reviewing Fintel's Concrete Engineering Handbook, the VDOT standard designs  for jointless pavements and some other pavement/slab material I have collected.  I have an 1976 publication from PCA on concrete tennis courts that I think has good guidance.

Toweling three times for increased wear resistance is straight out ACI 302.  Not waiting for the bleed water to disappear is the sort installation condition that Mark G mentioned could hurt the finish with blisters; His reinforcement ratio was close to what I came across.

L&M Chemicals recommended their "SealHard" product for the hardener.

Again thanks to everyone that ventured their advice and comments.

Jan Harris
Liberty Engineering, PC
Virginia Beach, VA