From: G M [mailto:newabhaju(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 3:28 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Pocket PC

To all:

Recently, there was a thread on Pocket PC.  I have been thinking of buying
one but have not been able to decide.  I would like some input based on your
experience.  The things I am debating about are:

1.  The pocket PC cost is in the $500 range compared to a laptop currently
available at $800 range.  Of course, the pocket PC has the advantage in
size, but is that a good enough reason?

I had the same problem with price so I went with the Dell Axim X5 Pocket Pc
w/400 mhz processor. With discounts and free shipping I was able to pick it
up for under $300.

2.  What can you do with a pocket PC - in terms of engineering activities.
have seen the high end handhelds that can do word and excel.  However, with
the limitation of the screen size, is this something you use?  Can one use a
excel spreadsheet for design efficiently on the Pocket PC and high end palm
tops?

Here is what I use:
word, excel, contacts, calendar
Adobe PDF reader for viewing all kinds of list like company phone numbers
I have a free scientific calculator (No more desk Calculator)
I have a free units conversion program
Mechanical Eng tools $20.00 which does all kinds of structural and
mechanical engineering calcs
I want to buy an inexpensive ACAD dwg viewer $29-$99
I view photos

3.  I know the use will vary from person to person.  But for a typical
consulting structural engineer, is worth spending the $500.  I do have
palm handheld that I use as a glorified calendar (dates, phones, etc.)- but
other than that , I see little use (so far, anyway).

For the $277 that I paid and how I am using it, I think that it is well
worth the purchase.
The ipaq for $599 come with blue tooth and/or wifi; I don't need these guys
right now so I agree
that the $500 is too expensive. However at $277 for the Dell, how can I go
wrong?

I would appreciate your comments and any recommendations.

Gautam