Re: steep pitched roof diaphragms and sloped shear wall top chords

I have a question for Thor Matteson and for others interested in the topic.
First, I wanted to take this opportunity to thank Thor for sharing Appendix
B of his book with the audience of this forum.  It is very valuable.

The question relates to the connection of top plate to the low end post at
the gable shear wall.  In the example provided in the above Appendix the
total shear in the wall is 2500 lbs with the additional low end post uplift
reaction of 1250 lbs.  I am wondering if the metal strap installed at the
top of the plate and bent down to be nailed to the post shall be sized for
the total shear or for vertical component only.  Assuming the studs are full
height, how the horizontal component of the total shear is transferred into
plywood?  Do we need to add a row of blocking at the eave plate elevation?

I think that the subject of that e-mail should also change to remove the
words "steep pitched" because even with 4:12 slope and 4 kip shear wall
load, you still get a vertical uplift of 1265 lbs.  Something to recon
with...

Any thoughts on this?

Sasha Itsekson, SE