Re: Plywood Floor Sheathing Span

Finish flooring is also a consideration. For tile floors-- 3/4 T&G over joists at 16"o.c. is minimum for me.
Chuck Utzman,P.E.

Mike Perakis wrote:
Obviously, the 3/4" sheathing @ 24"o.c. is not going to be as stiff as say, 7/8" or 1 1/8" sheathing.

The question is, does the customer (or you) object to the feel? Many production builders are switching to 7/8" sheathing even in the 19.2" o.c. homes to improve floor performance.

Mike Perakis, P.E.

rlewistx(--nospam--at)juno.com 02/03/03 03:44PM >>>

I have a question concerning using 3/4" plywood sheathing for flooring.
It is a residential application.  I know the span table show the plywood
can span up to 24" support centers but my question is the stiffness of
the floor.  Does is still feel like a stiff diaphragm when you stand on
it or jump on it?  Or would a thicker plywood sheathing be more
appropriate?

Thanks

Rich

Only $9.95 per month!