Re: Plywood Floor Sheathing Span

Richard,
For subfloors and single-layer floors respectively, 23/32" wood structural
panel sheathing (span rating 48/24) or APA Rated Sturd-Floor (Span Rating
24oc) is "code minimum" when floor framing is spaced 24" oc. Many
quality-conscious builders upgrade floor stiffness (feel under foot traffic)
by reducing floor framing to 19.2" oc or more typically 16" oc when using
this panel thickness.  Another option with the 24" oc floor framing spacing
is to increase the wood structural panel thickness by specifying panels with
a Span Rating of 60/32 (for subfloors) or Sturd-I-Floor 32oc (for
single-layer floors), for which nominal panel thickness is 7/8" or 1".  All
of these options would give you a stiffer floor feel, if the customer's
budget can handle it.
John Rose
APA (retired)
Tacoma, WA