From: Mark Geoghegan [mailto:structuraltech.vsl(--nospam--at)verizon.net]
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 4:53 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: FW: Fire ratings to UBC 1997

Hi Gail,

An old paper by RICHARD GEWAIN of the American Iron and Steel Institute entitled "Fire Experience and Fire Tests in Automobile Parking Structures" from the July 1973 FIRE JOURNAL gives an overview of this topic.

It presents some statistical data on damage to such structures over a period of 60 years. The loss stats were very low.

The fire test building was a structural steel frame and PT decks. The fires tests were conducted in 15 to 20 mph winds blowing across the test site and this did indeed increased the intensity of the fire, yet there was no structural damage, and adjacent cars to the burning test vehicles only received minor fire and heat damage. Temperatures on the bottom flange over the gas tank was 440 F at 41 minutes, for a period of 5 minutes. For the most part the temperatures on the beam remained below 350F.

This paper also has some brief comments on automatic extinguisher systems too, as it pertains to open parking structures.

Mark Geoghegan
Honolulu, HI