RE: New footing beside existing

I never dowel into an existing footing in order to prevent differential
settlement.  I figure that in order to prevent differential settlement I
would have to design the connection to take the amount of load that would
cause (or prevent) the settlement -- which is usually prohibitive.  I would
rather let the construction loads settle and then deal with any remaining
differential above grade and know that the footings have their own adequate
bearing.  I've never had any problems doing this.

Jim Persing, SE