Re: FW: Fire ratings to UBC 1997

Gail,

I don't know that much about fires, but from what I do know, there are two
things that would make ventilation of a structure a good thing.  Yes,
ventilation
would add oxygen to a fire, but (1) ventilation would help prevent the
build-up
of fumes and (2) ventilation would let some of the heat from the fire
escape
and would help prevent flashover.  Flashover is when the space reaches a
critical temperature and basically everything in the space bursts into
flames.
My use of these terms is pretty loose, but a quick search on google.com
gave me this site (http://www.firetactics.com/FLASHOVER.htm) that has
more information on the proper definition of flashover, etc.

Somebody let me know if I am off base here!

Joe Fabregas