Re: FW: Fire ratings to UBC 1997

Yes,  flash-over is discussed in the Decmber 2002 article in Modern Steel Construction.

My question is:  what actually is the basis for the code-distingtion between requirements for open versus enclosed parking garages?  There seem to be a variety of opinions.

In general, it seems that in new construction, fire resistance requirements are handled by the architect, as part of the site development plan.  My experience, at least, is that the individual responsible for doing this simply copies from another set of drawings and specs.  I am not sure they would have any idea of where to start looking for Code requirements.

Gail S. Kelley