Re: Clamping & Friction of Wood

Gerard,

>From my statics book (Beer & Johnston's Vector Mechanics for Engineers:
Statics), metal on wood has an approximate coefficient of static friction
of 0.20 to 0.60.  The following page has similar values for metal on wood
(clean), plus a whole lot more:

http://users.breathemail.net/roybeardmore/Useful_Tables/Tribology/co_of_frict.htm

Another table of friction coefficients at:

http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-frictioncoefficient.htm

All seem to have the same values...0.2 to 0.6.

As far as  the number of turns versus torque, you could get an
approximation if you know the pitch of the threads on the all-thread rod.
This would allow you to calculate the distance the nut moves through one
turn of the nut, which you could then use with some basic structural
statics/solid mechanics/deformation/energy principles to get an
approximate of the force.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI