From: Dennis Pradere [mailto:dpradere(--nospam--at)mlaengineering.com]
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 10:16 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: TS column embedded in cmu wall

Hello all,

I am designing a TS column to cantilever from the top of a cmu wall.  The column will be embedded in a cmu vertical cell down to the foundation where it will be attached with a baseplate.  A TS5x5 (which I need for my design) should fit into the cell of an 8" cmu block but that doesn't leave much room for grout around the column.

Also, for ease of construction, I am thinking of allowing the mason to build the wall around the column without a face shell and then attaching the face shell later.

I would be interested in anybody's experiences with each of the above and their recommendations.

Thanks,

-Dennis Pradere
MLA Engineering
Seattle, Washington